• Book Dewayne Hart
  • Dewaynehart@dewaynehart.com
  • (470) 409 8316
  • Speaker Bio
  • Home
  • About
  • Speaker
  • Books
  • Podcast
  • Contact
  • Home
  • About
  • Speaker
  • Books
  • Podcast
  • Contact
Facebook-f Linkedin-in Youtube X-twitter Globe
Order books

Meta Removes 63,000 Instagram Accounts Linked to Nigerian Sextortion Scams

Posted on July 28, 2024 by admin

[ad_1]

Jul 25, 2024NewsroomCybercrime / Online Safety

Instagram Scam Accounts

Meta Platforms on Wednesday said it took steps to remove around 63,000 Instagram accounts in Nigeria that were found to target people with financial sextortion scams.

“These included a smaller coordinated network of around 2,500 accounts that we were able to link to a group of around 20 individuals,” the company said. “They targeted primarily adult men in the U.S. and used fake accounts to mask their identities.”

In cases where some of these accounts attempted to target minors, Meta said it reported them to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

Separately, Meta said it also removed 7,200 assets, including 1,300 Facebook accounts, 200 Facebook Pages and 5,700 Facebook Groups, based in Nigeria that were used to organize, recruit and train new scammers.

“Their efforts included offering to sell scripts and guides to use when scamming people, and sharing links to collections of photos to use when populating fake accounts,” it said.

Meta attributed the second cluster to a cybercrime group tracked as Yahoo Boys, which came under the radar earlier this year for orchestrating financial sextortion attacks targeting teenagers from Australia, Canada, and the U.S.

A subsequent report from Bloomberg exposed sextortion-fueled suicides, revealing how scammers are posing as teenage girls on Instagram and Snapchat to lure targets and entice them into sending explicit photos, which are then used to blackmail victims in exchange for money or risk getting their images forwarded to their friends.

Cybersecurity

Back in April, the social media giant said it has devised new methods to identify accounts that are potentially engaging in sextortion, and that it’s enacting measures to prevent these accounts from finding and interacting with teens.

“Financial sextortion is a horrific crime that can have devastating consequences,” Meta said. “This is an adversarial space where criminals evolve to evade our ever-improving defenses.”

Meta’s actions come as INTERPOL said it conducted a global law enforcement operation referred to as Jackal III that targeted West African organized crime groups such as Black Axe, leading to scores of arrests and the seizure of $3 million in illegal assets, including cryptocurrencies and luxury items.

The effort, which took place between April 10 and July 3, 2024, spanned 21 countries and was orchestrated with an aim to dismantle transnational organized crime syndicates involved in cyber fraud, human trafficking, drug smuggling, and violent crimes both within Africa and globally.

Instagram Scam Accounts

“The annual operation resulted in some 300 arrests, the identification of over 400 additional suspects, and the blocking of more than 720 bank accounts,” INTERPOL said in a press statement.

The development also follows a wave of other law enforcement actions from across the world designed to tackle cybercrime –

  • Vyacheslav Igorevich Penchukov (aka father and tank), who pleaded guilty at the start of the year for his role in the Zeus and IcedID malware operations, was sentenced by a U.S. court to nine years in prison and three years of supervised release. He was also ordered to pay $73 million in restitution.
  • The Ukrainian Cyber Police announced the arrest of two people in connection with financial theft attacks targeting “leading industrial enterprises” in the country, leading to losses amounting to $145,000 (six million hryvnias). If found guilty, they face up to 12 years in prison.
  • Spain’s La Guardia Civil arrested three suspected members of NoName057(16), prompting the pro-Russian hacktivist group to declare a “holy war” on the country. The individuals have been accused of participating in “denial-of-service cyber attacks against public institutions and strategic sectors of Spain and other NATO countries.” The group called the arrests a “witch hunt” by Russophobic authorities.
  • The U.K. National Crime Agency (NCA) said it infiltrated and took down digitalstress[.]su, a DDoS-for-hire (aka booter) service linked to “tens of thousands of attacks every week” globally. The site’s suspected owner, who goes by the name Skiop, has also been arrested. The takedown, part of an ongoing coordinated effort dubbed Operation PowerOFF, came after German police disrupted the Stresser.tech DDoS attack service in April 2024.

Found this article interesting? Follow us on Twitter  and LinkedIn to read more exclusive content we post.



[ad_2]

Recent Posts

  • Valentine’s Day Cybersecurity: Protecting Loved Ones and Digital Assets
  • Secure Your People Before the Attack: The Mark of True Cyber Leadership
  • How Cyber Leadership Creates a Culture of Care and Resilience
  • Secure What You Love: Turning Valentine’s Week into a Cybersecurity Awareness Win
  • Proactive Protection Wins: What Real-World Breaches Teach Leaders

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • February 2026
  • July 2025
  • May 2025
  • April 2025
  • March 2025
  • February 2025
  • January 2025
  • December 2024
  • November 2024
  • October 2024
  • September 2024
  • August 2024
  • July 2024
  • June 2024
  • May 2024
  • April 2024
  • March 2024
  • February 2024
  • January 2024
  • December 2023
  • November 2023
  • October 2023

Categories

  • Cyber News
  • Uncategorized

Book Dewayne Hart for your next event

  • Dewaynehart@dewaynehart.com
  • (470) 409 8316
Facebook-f Linkedin-in Youtube X-twitter Globe
© 2025 Dewayne Hart | Cybersecurity Leadership & Innovation